FURNACE WOODS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
FALL, 2017 AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT
REGISTRATION CLOSED – THANK YOU!
MONDAY | 8 weeks | 2:35-3:35 PM
Grades 3-5 | $190
In this class, students will be introduced to logic of coding and programming through SCRATCH, the coding language developed by M.I.T. for children Through use of a graphical, drag and drop interface, students learn how to create simple programs that are fun, animated and personalized. We follow the Creative Computing curriculum introduced by Harvard Graduate School of Education. Each class contains a separate lesson in Scratch and students can share their work with each other and their families at the end of class.
Class dates: 9/25, 10/2, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20, 11/27. Make up date: 12/4
CURIOUS ENGINEERS: ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
This class embraces the “Maker” theme that has inspired maker spaces around the world as well as the Maker Fair. Maker classes are where kids create their own working models, games and gadgets using raw and recycled materials and basic engineering and technology. NOTES: Involves cooperation with others, following safety instructions, use of multiple materials and the ability to focus on a project for the length of the class.
Class Dates: 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 11/14, 11/21. Make-up: 11/28
CHESS MATES (Gr. 1-5)
In addition to being a timeless and challenging game for people of all ages, Chess is one of the most powerful educational tools available to strengthen a child’s mind and memory, while developing critical thinking and problem solving skills. Chess Mates is designed for students with little to no experience with chess to learn, play, have fun and hopefully develop a love of the game in a friendly environment. Upon completion of the class, students will not only learn the set-up, moves of the pieces and rules of the game, they will also learn how to plan logically, anticipate consequences, calculate advantages and persist in finding their own strategies for basic openings and endgames.
Class Dates: 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15. Make-up 11/29
THURSDAY| 8 weeks | 2:35-3:35 PM
Grades K-1 | $190
Curiologists are kids with a need to explore their world through early scientific inquiry. They want to know how their world works and they put themselves in the role of scientist in order to find out. As Curiologists, we will explore some fundamental principles that allow kids to understand some of the phenomena in the world around them. These investigations include sound, color, magnetism, polymers, properties of water and more. Each week is a different experiment using a hands-on, exploratory approach. NOTES: Involves handling of various materials and substances. Requires sitting and listening time. Involves working with your hands. Students work individually and in small groups.
Class dates: 09/28 10/5, 10/12, 10/19, 10/26, 11/2, 11/9, 11/16. Make-up date: 11/30
REGISTRATION OPENS ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 7th.
NOTE: To facilitate the registration process, parents will be able to create a Curiositas Furnace Woods account in advance, beginning on Tuesday, September 5th.
Procedure for Registering
- Log-on: http://www.iocuriositas.org/register/furnacewoods
- After deciding which class(es) you’re interested in, click on the “Register HERE!” button. NOTE: You will be taken to a different website (Jumbula.com, a class and program management system) that is used to process your registration and payment information. You will see the “Curiositas” logo, as seen to the right. You must create a Curiositas account in order to register. You will only need to do this once.
- FOR THOSE REGISTERING FOR THE FIRST TIME: Create your account by clicking on “Sign Up!” in the upper right-hand corner. Once you have signed up, be sure to “Add Family Member” for each child (using the child’s name, not yours) who might enroll in a class.
- Use your account to log-in. Once you are logged in, you can select your class(es) and register. Payment information is due immediately.
- Note: If you have used the MindBody website for classes with another organization, you must first log out of that account, THEN click on the “Register HERE!” button.
- ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org or call 914-274-8364.